Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Flying the friendly skies to home sweet home!

Goodness gracious, we have not had much time and the Internet has been down. We are all getting ready... packing our bags and memories. Both excited and sad to be going home. Our group has become family. We have experienced magic and life changing moments together.

Yesterday we went to the genocide museum. After walking through, we all sat outside in silence. We know that although we have trials and tribulations in life, our seemingly piddly issues do not compare to what many others face in this world. We are all humbled and grateful for what we have. If you're bored, google the word 'interahamwe.' I think that's how you spell it. Things are not finished here.

We will return home different... but in a good way. We will also return dirty and bug bitten but the dirt and bites will go away, the changed attitudes will not. Thank you all for allowing, and working so hard, to let your kids come on this trip. The people, the animals, our group and all the experiences have made us stronger, smarter, more empathetic, grateful, and humbled. The intensity of this trip on so many levels has enlightened us even more and we all thank you for this opportunity.

I again will say that knowing your kids and traveling with them has been wonderful for me too. For those of you who do not know, I had breast cancer last year - went through chemo and radiation and then broke my leg in three places. Last year taught me to always live life to the fullest and that life is short. Although I was a champ all last year, I have struggled with the aftermath. It was not until this trip with your kids that I feel I broke through and can move on. They are all so amazing in such different ways. I spend a lot of my time in an office, doing all the administrative hoo-haw... I do not get as many opportunities to be around youth as much as I did back in the day. Now I have spent more than 14 days with your gentle, caring, funny, honest, strong, vulnerable kids and they have taught me so much. Again, thank you for raising such amazing beings. Young adults that I feel good about holding our future in their hands. Young adults that have become part of my family now too. Wish you all could see this and I hope you're doing well.

We will see you soon!

Love from us all!

1 comment:

Lovatos said...

Dear Randi,
Thank you so much for all you have done for our kids on this amazing trip, and for keeping us parents updated along the way. We are really touched by your comments. Can't wait to thank you in person tomorrow. Please tell Sabrina that we love her so so much!

The Lovatos